Sunday, January 17, 2010

Nostalgia

winter path

As I get older, I tend to think about the past a lot.  A feeling of nostalgia sweeps over me and it is just so bittersweet. I berate myself for not appreciating different periods of my life or for not taking advantage of freedom and opportunity. I find myself wishing that I could live parts of my life over again or talk to people who have passed away to tell them how much I loved them.  I miss friends who have moved on.

I was mentally involved in just a such a little walk down memory lane when a sudden realization came over me.  At that exact moment, I wasn’t present, I wasn’t appreciating my life or making the most of it and some day in the future I would look back and wish I had.  There is a lesson in nostalgia and it is this:  Make the most of every day and every moment of every day. If you do, when you look back on your life, you will do so without regret, only joy.

It may seem simplistic and it’s been said many times by others who are far more eloquent than I am but in that moment, in that very moment, I understood. I felt the lesson, instead of just hearing it and it generated a profound feeling of resolve within me.  I don’t want to look back on the life I am living right now with the same bittersweet feelings of nostalgia and regret that I view my childhood with.

It is up to me to figure out what I am meant to be doing right now, and embrace it with my whole heart.  What are you meant to be doing right now?  Are you doing it?

Technorati Tags: ,,

No comments:

Post a Comment